Aug 29, 2014

5 Tips To Start A New Workout!

 
Jumping right back into fitness or any kind of workout can be intimidating. I remember starting a workout after not working out for almost two years and feeling unsure of what I should be doing or how to start. I think it's important to set up a good mind frame when starting a workout, and that makes a huge difference in the long run. Here are some of my tips on starting and maintaining a new workout!

1. Make a schedule: Okay, so this is usually the hardest for most people. Where can I fit in time to workout? That's a common thing that most people struggle with and individually it needs to work for you. I suggest writing in a calendar and starting off small. Work from 3 days a week up. You need to give your body time to adjust so time off is imperative. You're going to have to adjust your schedule in order to fit in some workout time, but in the long run, you'll feel better.

2. DUMP THE JUNK!: No one can really fight the urges to snack, especially when you're surrounded by it. For me personally, I can't have junk/snack foods in my house because they will get eaten when I am h-a-n-g-r-y. Best thing to do? Go food shopping and leave yourself healthy options. If you look in the cabinet and everything is healthier, guaranteed you make a better choice for yourself on that day, and in future choices! If you find yourself running around most of the day I suggest packing lunch/dinner in advance and a healthy bunch of snacks to choose from. Fail to plan, plan to fail! That's how the cookie crumbles...literally. As I have mentioned before there are healthy options that actually taste good too, do some research, or try some protein bars, they're delicious and some even taste like your favorite snack! (Ie. Cookies & Cream Quest Bars)



3. Make a good playlist: Imagine working out in silence, or even worse...imagine working out to someone's awful music playlist. Sometimes at the gym, this happens. If you load some music that pumps you up onto your phone or i-pod, you will be motivated to keep going, and it will distract you from staring at the clock. Get some decent headphones, and keep your phone charged, guarantee you stay in the gym longer if your music is on point, and so is your attitude!

4. Inspiration: Instagram has become a place where you can get a view into other people's lives. It's a way to connect with others who share the same passions, but also can inspire you to be better. Instagram has become huge for the fitness community because there is so much information at your finger tips. By this I mean fitness advice, HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training), recipes, inspiration for workout clothes, different exercises and more. I follow a lot of different people on instagram who provide me a lot of inspiration. I love getting inspired to try new things and push myself in the gym, so what better way to do so than by connecting with others. 

Some of my favorites : Katy Hearn // Tanaashleee // FitHealthyRecipes // FitMenCook

5. Gym Buddy: Finding someone you can work out with is HUGE. When you're feeling super lazy you need someone who is going to help you get back on track. Sometimes just having someone there who is just as motivated as you are is enough to get you going. Make plans with people or family members who go to your gym, and see if you guys can work out together. My sister and I just started going together and I love having someone to talk to in between sets. Time flies by, and it's a great way to keep myself going when I am tempted to stop.

All in all just remind yourself that you're doing awesome. Don't compare your journey with anyone else and make sure you always stay focused. If you take a few days off, just jump right back into it when you're ready! It's like riding a bike, you can always get back on!







Shop this post!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I really need to get back into working out. You look great :).

    Tamara
    www.trulytamara.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tips! Especially the playlist! I find the right music can make or break my workout!

    <3 Holly
    http://50minutesweat.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these tips!! i'm definitely a schedule person so that's the most important for me!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dream-in-neon.com

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts