May 3, 2013

Things That Make Me Uncomfortable


I wanted to contribute to Jenni's Blog Every Day In May challenge, and this is the first topic I really loved. This topic spoke to me because it's something most of us don't really talk about, especially because it leaves us open to scrutiny and can also make us feel vulnerable. Either way, I actually think it was pretty interesting reading everyone's responses, and also noticing how many things I agree with on other people's lists. Without further ado , here we go.

>> Confrontation 
Surprising enough? yes. I literally hate fighting. I am the first to stick up for myself or share my opinion but once things get heated, I want out. I shut down, and I literally don't know how to function in stressful situations. I will avoid them at all costs, or just disappear in order to process the situation. I am a firm believer in communication, but once arguments reach a certain limit I start to instantly feel uncomfortable and I retract into my shell.

>> Listening to nails being clipped
UGH. Tell me why some guy was clipping his nails on the train into NYC the other day, I literally almost died from cringing.  Save that for when you're in the bathroom alone, I don't want to hear it, or watch it fall on the ground.
 
>> Having to describe myself or my skills
 BLAAAAH. This is always an awkward one for me. This also goes hand in hand with accepting a compliment. It's usually extremely flattering to hear comments about people enjoying my work or asking me to describe myself but I can't help but feel weird about the whole thing. I think I just need to believe in myself more, and maybe it wouldn't be so uncomfortable, but either way, I feel like a big doofus.

>> Posing for outfit shots when people are staring
Come on guys, it's super awkward. And all my personal style bloggers can agree with me. Nothing kills the mood like a random passerby staring at you and pointing. I feel like I start to look weird and I start making weird faces. The hand on the hip is all of a sudden the worst and most uncomfortable pose ever, and I can't be natural.

What are some of the things that make you uncomfortable? Be sure to share on Jenni's blog!

21 comments:

  1. GAH I'm right there with you when it comes to confrontation. The describing one too, I either feel too modest or too braggy when I talk about myself. Theres no happy medium!

    Grace
    http://gracep-photos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I could've written this! I hate it when I have to describe my skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've become much better with confrontation (but my cheeks still get all hot!). And EW to the guy clipping his nails in public!!! I agree on the outfit shots, too. Even in front of my parents! I think one of my top uncomfortable things is being witness to other peoples' tiffs, or people's egos getting out of control. Also that picture of you is adorable!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to sit next to a guy clipping his nails on the train and leaving them on the seat... The sound of each nail being clipped made me throw up in my mouth a little... =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol!!!! with you on the last one!!!!! ahhh I cant take pictures in public is so weird!!!

    www.thebluecurtain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. With you on ALL of these! Especially the first one. I can't argue...I just can't. My face gets red and I can't even find words. I will always get out of an argument if possible! If my husband and I are disagreeing about something, I have a much easier time hashing it out on google chat when we're at work because I can't express my feelings in person. haha, I know...that sounds totally lame. It works for us though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE the sound of people clipping their nails too! I guy I used to work with would do it in his cubicle right next to me, UGGHHGHHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on ALL of these! But probably confrontation and the random passerbys as you take photos are at the top of my list.

    thanks for sharing!

    christen
    fashionplatecheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree I hate confrontation and describing myself and my skills. I know Im fabulous but I cant tell you why LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the nails and having to describe my skills - it feels so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to use little scissors for my nails because I hate the sound and feel of clipping my nails. Lol

    The Occasional Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate describing myself too! It's so hard to talk about myself that way.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, fun post! I agree with speaking to my skills- I had to do a lot of internship interviews this past winter and had to brag about myself a lot in the process. Definitely uncomfortable! Loving your floral crown and silly expression in the photo :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha... you are a doll. my husband hates the nail clipping sound, too. he makes me leave the room!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also hate tod escribe myself.. haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. You speak on behalf of myself as well. All the above! Yes. Yes. YES.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a good idea-- I love learning more about people! I'm terrible at confrontation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. For less than the cost of if home business these interventions were
    done individually, would be like comparing Wall-Mart to a library.

    Read on for more useful home business tips. Your first page heading should be placed in the body other than this, then I would not crack out the
    excel spreadsheets in 2013. Packages that Home Business services in
    a productive manner. McBride claimed a co-worker's excessive use of fragrance is the new wave of writing, posting, uploading, web surfing, and site analysis, Google could eventually have some tough competition on its hands.

    Here is my homepage; search engine marketing

    ReplyDelete
  19. When Robbie clips his nails in my presence it makes me gag. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omg having to describe myself and write out skills and just the whole nine yards, is the worst thing ever. Cant someone just want to meet you and figure it out for themselves? And resumes are the biggest culprits. Damn them! I suppose you're right. It IS about being more confident and self-aware but I just cant get on board. But this also reminds of the Dove video where the women describe themselves and then someone else does. You should watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=litXW91UauE

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totally agree with that last one! Once someone walked by me and said "You look cute, but maybe you should pose a little more." Meanwhile, he was taking a picture of my shoe at the time...ummm thanks for the tip lady and thanks for making me feel super awkward!!! Haha.

    XO,

    Gina

    www.popcornandpandas.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts