Sep 27, 2012

Frappes & Rainy Days


I woke up this morning to the pounding of the rain on my window, and that set the tone for the whole day. I love the rain. I love everything about it. The idea that the earth is being nurtured and that new things will grow, the thought of being snuggled in a blanket and not moving....all of it. It's my favorite. I can't remember the last time I had a full rainy day to do nothing. This morning is no different. I have a dentist appointment followed by work, so I figured I would enjoy the part of the day that I could. I got up early, made myself a frappe, a Cypriot breakfast, and sat down in my sun room watching the rain pour down. 

Lately I haven't been much of a morning person, but usually when I have more of a routine I get up early and give myself time. I think the exhaustion has taken that from me, and now I value every second of sleep I can get, even if it means rushing around once I get up. When it rains I usually start to miss something, or someone. Today I was missing my Grandma. I've been thinking about her a lot lately, and how much I miss being a kid and spending my summers with her. Everything was so simple, and I remember I complained about how "boring" it was because we didn't have a lot of toys or a television with cartoons, but now looking back, it is one of my favorite memories.

I miss having a simple life. If I ever had one at all? I guess I just miss things being more simple, not worrying about so much. Part of me wants to just run away for a few months and hide in the mountains somewhere, but unfortunately there are too many deadlines, and too many things to get done. There's never enough time. Maybe one day I can follow through and really find a simple kind of life. All I know is that it involves a lot of fresh air, and a lot of relaxation. 

i miss this.


11 comments:

  1. Rainy days are my favorite! There is just something about hearing the rain and feeling that chill in the air. I like to stay in but I also enjoy going out. Sitting in a cafe reading a good book or getting some work done, it's the best when the rain is hitting the glass and it's dark and cloudy.

    borderlinebasic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the magic bullet action! I'm yearning for a day off to stay in bed and do nothing but drink tea and read and nap. Simplicity always feels better than getting caught up in the hustle and bustle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a healthy, yummy looking platter. Suite!

    www.living-thesuite-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rainy days are the best, almost magical x

    at-rubik.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love staying in on a rainy day. Unfortunately, we haven't had a rainy day in months!
    And your breakfast looks so good, I wish I had the motivation to make real food in the morning.

    http://whiskeybreakfast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post! And I love rainy mornings, it just makes you want to cuddle up, and the sound of the rain is so soothing.
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww maria! can you skype or call your grandma, or write her a letter? do it! please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rainy days when there's nothing I have to do! They definitely make me nostalgic too- I grew up in rainy Oregon so lots of childhood memories attached to it. Those trips to visit your Grandparents sound like amazing memories to have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rainy days are just the best, seriously. I love this post. x

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

share your thoughts